Pages

Monday, February 13, 2012

Expressions of Love

It's almost Valentine's Day once more and unfortunately for me, those cold prickly thoughts start returning. Shame on me!! This past week has been wonderful as I've started preparing in earnest for my mission, but V-day brings another round of engagements, dwindling my number of single friends close to nil. However, least I despair, my wonderful sunday school lesson and scripture study this week brought forth the comfort I very much needed. 2 Nephi chapter 4, commonly called Nephi's Psalm or Lament, is written after Lehi dies and Nephi is mourning. He first say how much he loves the scripture and delights in the things of the Lord, yet there is sorrow. I find comfort in Nephi's mourning, for as great a prophet as he was, there is also a time to mourn. However, it should not overshadow or consume our lives. Here are the verses:
"16 Behold, my soul delighteth in the things of the Lord; and my heart pondereth continually upon the things which I have seen and heard. 17 Nevertheless, notwithstanding the great goodness of the Lord, in showing me his great and marvelous works, my heart exclaimeth: O wretched man that I am! Yea, my heart sorroweth because of my flesh; my soul grieveth because of mine iniquities. 18 I am encompassed about, because of the temptations and the sins which do so easily beset me. 19 And when I desire to rejoice, my heart groaneth because of my sins; nevertheless, I know in whom I have trusted. 20 My God hath been my support; he hath led me through mine afflictions in the wilderness; and he hath preserved me upon the waters of the great deep. 21 He hath filled me with his love, even unto the consuming of my flesh." What a beautiful expression of love! Sometimes when we seek wordly expressions of love we miss the most powerful one of all- from our Savior! It is a love that will never leave us, never betray us, a love that will not alter even when we fall short of loving in return. This clip about expressions of love brought a smile to my face-- the loved the couple with the rough stones and the story of all the little circles <3 Happy Valentine's Day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment