Pages

Monday, December 31, 2012

I'll Go Where You Want Me To Go 11/19/12

Dear Family-
This week has been crazy, great, wonderful, and exhausting : ) We got transfer calls Tuesday night (I left Oakcrest : ( ) and had Wednesday to say goodbye to members and investigators before transfers. After spending four and a half months with the Oakcrest branch, it was hard to say goodbye, but I knew that Heavenly Father had more good things waiting for me. Since you asked about members last week it works out perfectly to tell you about some of my favorite members in the Oakcrest branch. Hna Calderon is from Puerto Rico, but is married to a man from Mexico. She is spunky and funny and loves to dance. She is a licensed cosmetologist and did my and hna Latu's hair. Her husband works in the temple as the engineer and they have three little kids. She did our nails for Halloween and whenever we needed girl time- she was the woman. Grandparents Morales are also some of my favorite people. In their late eighties, Grandpa and Grandma Morales are just beautiful people. They joined the church 50 yrs ago in Mexico and worked in the temple there and here for about 20 years. Grandma Morales has a brain tumor and has been going through chemo, but she's a fighter. Grandpa Morales loves the scriptures and the gospel and always loves to share thoughts and insights with us when we visit them.
It was a race trying to say goodbye to everyone, but I felt at peace leaving my first area. And lo and behold I was sent to an amazing ward, Houston Seis with two incredible companions. Hermana Jasmin Rivera is from San Jose California and this is her last transfer. She goes home in December, but it is such a tender mercy to be able to serve with her for these weeks. She is incredible and is very spiritual. Her family is from El Salvador so she helps us with Spanish and learning more about the Spanish culture. Her and I just connect, and I feel like I've known her for a long time. Can we adopt her? Or maybe I can marry her brother...hmmm. Well, I'll pray about this. Our other great companion, Hermana Kynsie Rife is new to the mission and I'm helping train her. She's from Provo, Utah and is incredibly chill and fun. She can rap, so Hna Rivera beatboxes and I dance to her raps. We are having tons of fun together. She is also very in tune with the Spirit and is fearless with her spanish even as she is still learning. There is a lot of power in this companionship. Our area is great- full of people that are prepared to accept the gospel. On investigator family, the family Santillan, is incredible. They are getting baptized on December 1st and we can see the gospel changing them right in front of our eyes. This Thanksgiving we are cooking a traditional Thanksigivng dinner for them- turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, deviled eggs, rolls, Mormon champagne,  pumpkin pie. I'm the designated chef and I'm a little nervous, but very excited. Trying to remember all the little cooking tips from years of cooking with the family. I will miss you all very much during the holidays, but I know I'm serving exactly where the Lord wants me. Today actually we went with Lorena, the mom, to buy all the groceries and I thought of you guys. Please know that I am so grateful for each and every one of you and love you so much.
Just a quick thought- I was studying more about humility this week and the humility of John the Baptist really stood out to me. He said that he was not even worthy to unlatch the Savior's shoes. In Hebrew culture that was a job for the lowest of low servants, the only thing a disciple was not required to do for his Master, yet John felt lower than that. Then as his disciples inquired which person to follow, him or Jesus, he meekly stated that "He must increase and I must decrease." Coming into my new area, it is humbly to see the mercy of our Heavenly Father for me and my companions. Every single day is a miracle here because we choose to see the miracle in every day. This Thanksgiving I am thankful for soo much that my heart is full to overflowing.
I know it's a lot of stuff thrown in there, but I'll try to make more sense next week. Love you lots!
-Hermana Kristi Koerner

No comments:

Post a Comment