Pages

Saturday, March 15, 2014

A Step In The Dark

When I was a little girl, one of my sisters (who shall remain unnamed, even though you all pretty much know who) loved to scare me. Jumping out from behind doors, hiding under the bed, telling me scary stories about a crazy boogie man that ate little girls when they didn't go to bed on time. It was exacerbated by my fear of the dark, a fear that has not completely left me even in adulthood. In the light I can see where I'm going, I know which direction to take. I love the warmth of the sun on my skin and the golden glow cast as the sun rises and sets. Those same physical properties apply spiritually, mentally, and emotionally. I like to know where I'm going and what is going to happen. I prefer to be warm and safe and know the end point. But life doesn't usually work that like. In fact, if we could see and understand everything, there would be no testing. There would be no need for faith.

But we do need faith.
And courage.

Two weeks ago I packed up everything I owned, shipped it out on a truck, and flew 1700 miles to a place I've never lived before, where I have no family and only a couple friends. I started a new job full-time and I am in the process of setting up my own apartment. That might be closer to a leap than just a step into the dark. After all, there are no miracles until after the trials of faith. Like stepping into a room and fumbling a bit before finally finding the light switch. And light has indeed flooded the way before me as I've made these steps. Sitting in the first dedicatory session of the Gilbert Arizona Temple, I felt an overwhelming peace and assurance wash over me. I know I am where I am supposed to be. I know I am where the Lord needs me to be at this next stage of my life. And I cannot even fathom all He has in store for me.

 "If ye will have faith in me ye shall have power to do whatsoever thing is expedient in me." 
- Moroni 7:33








No comments:

Post a Comment