Pages

Friday, April 4, 2014

Words From Heaven

As many of you are already well aware, General Conference is tomorrow and Sunday. YAY!! Seriously, I'm fairly certain I have a slight obsession with Conference. Since last October, I have read, watched or listened to a talk from conference every single day. Some people watch a favorite movie over and over, others have their favorite heroes plastered on their wall (Facebook or literal), and yet others can quote hilarious T.V. shows from dawn til dusk. And while I might claim a least some part in the three former habits, my true heroes are speaking this weekend. I mean, who wasn't inspired when Elder Oaks, quoting President Monson, declared,
"Let us have the courage to defy the consensus, the courage to stand for principle. Courage, not compromise, brings the smile of God’s approval. Courage becomes a living and an attractive virtue when it is regarded not only as a willingness to die manfully, but as the determination to live decently. A moral coward is one who is afraid to do what he thinks is right because others will disapprove or laugh. Remember that all men have their fears, but those who face their fears with dignity have courage as well.”
 Furthermore, were our hearts not touched with sympathy for President Monson's loss and changed by the gentle whisperings of the Spirit? From empowering talks like "You Can Do It Now!" and "The Strength to Endure" to comforting assurances in "I Will Not Fail Thee...", revelation was given as 'the dews from heaven'. In his discourse on Sunday, President Monson himself remarked that the conference was one of the most inspiring he had attended.

Last Conference, I was a full-time missionary in Houston and now I'm living in my own apartment in Gilbert Arizona. To say life has changed in many aspects for me would be an understatement, but no matter where I am or what I'm going through, the Lord always sends the messages that I need. I've been preparing and anticipating for months and tonight is the final countdown. I will prepare snacks and meals for during conference, put together my conference bag with scriptures, notebooks, pens, and a blanket in case the chapel gets chilly.

Plus a little poetry to get in the reflective mood : )

 
As I walk out my door this morn,
the heavenly dew glistens,
with my feet turned toward the chapel
and my heart tuned to listen.
Oh, what will they say?
a little voice wonders.
About love, hope, and faith
or learning to repent of my blunders.
A pen poised over the pages
waiting, just waiting,
to receive wisdom from sages.
As the countdown is muttered,
ten, nine, eight, seven...
arms open wide to catch
words falling from heaven.
 
Happy Conference Weekend!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment