Pages

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Epigenetics and Excitement

Carrying 14 books out of the library to my car is a bit trickier when they are large textbooks and not small little novels, but it is so worth it. Not the part about where my massage therapist asked me if I am pregnant because I'm reading a book on newborn development. Though it was kind of funny. It's so worth it to get lost in researching, studying, and cross-referencing. I'm such a dork that I've stayed up late every night this week reading child development and psychology texts and making new discoveries by the minute.

One such discovery that has me so intrigued is the field of epigenetics- "epi" coming from the Greek meaning over, outside of and around. Basically how outside factors influence how genes are manifest--"The field of epigenetics teaches us that the way genes function can actually change depending on actions you take, actions your child takes, and ultimately, the environment in which you child grows up" (You Raising Your Child) Wow!

Think about that- the choices you make, both consciously and unconsciously, not only affect your own genetic expression, but that of your children! You can even break down further to the field of nutri-epigenetics- how nutrition effects the activation of alleles in the DNA sequence. There is a really fun website (even if it's from the enemy university) that has videos and interactive modules. You should check it out.

That has some beautiful spiritual parallels. Everything we do affects who we become- our desires, thoughts, words, and actions. A parent's choices and behavior effect the spiritual development of their homes and families just like what we eat effects our health. What spiritual epigenetics do you see in your life?

In other exciting news, I am going on vacation all next week to my new favorite place- California! This time, however, I am going south to the beach and drumroll please....Disneyland! My first time ever to go and my secret Disney Princess identity is starting to come out! I am so excited I'm having trouble concentrating at work (obviously). I am going with some of my favorite people and best friends and I am so ready for some fun, relaxation and adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment