Pages

Monday, November 30, 2015

Slow Down A Little

Tis the season for family gatherings and festive parties, thoughtful gifts and expressions of love. But it also seems to be the season of forceful opinions, blowout sales, and blaring contradictions. Added to the mix is the bombardment of news, opinions, and controversary over recent events. I just had the pleasure and privilege of spending Thanksgiving with my family- something that I am learning to no longer take for granted the older I get. With the time I had to relax and reflect, I couldn't help but puzzle over all the "busy"ness of this time of year. About now, you are revving up (or just starting) your holiday preparations, making lists of who you need to shop for, holiday parties to attend, and all those things. It's easy to get caught up in all the things to do, particularly if we have a responsibility to make sure Christmas joy is spread around (in your family, at church, a work position, etc). And not all of that is bad- I am so grateful for those who put in a lot of effort and time to make this season wonderful/extra special for their children, co-workers, and friends.

But this year, may I offer just one suggestion for the season?

Simplify and slow down.



Now that will look different for each of us. For some that may be turning down a few invitations to events to spend more time with the family. Others may shift from elaborate presents to more simple gifts. Still others will seek more opportunities to provide service and acts of compassion in place of outright gifts. Perhaps we can reduce our time on social media if it is detracting from our true priorities. One that has been forefront in my mind is to limit or reserve judgement on certain issues in the media until I more fully understand and can step back to consider the issue from other perspectives. For example (and just in my opinion, obviously), the recent debate over the refugees has brought out some really strong opinions, many facts, and more than a few misconceptions. It's not a black and white issue. It's not just about mercy and compassion, just as it's not only about defense and security. It's my hope this holiday season, whatever holiday or celebration that might be for you, that we slow down enough to consider another perspective, to evaluate our priorities, and to simplify.

No comments:

Post a Comment