Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

That Annoying Little Voice

You know what I'm talking about.

There is always that one person (okay, sometimes two people) in a class that make you cringe every time they start to talk. Whether it's answering a questions, voicing an opinion, or just talking to their neighbor- their voice makes you irritated and makes you want to have Teretts just so you can interrupt. I normally figure out that person fairly quickly and sit as far away as possible. That way I can't hear them quite clearly or see them, at least partially. The reason for my seemingly horrible reaction varies from class to class, person to person. Sometimes they ask questions about something the professor just explained while they were not paying attention. Others assume they know more than others, even the professor. Still others comment five or six times in a high piercing (brown-nosing) tone. And even more (yes, there are this many) that throw in their comments about random ideas at the most inappropriate times.

But what do you do when that little voice is in your head?

It's sitting in the front row and talking before you even call on it. It's shouting out the most ridiculous ideas and confusing all the others. That pesky little voice gives me a headache. It is saying garbage like "You don't belong here or with these people.", " You are never going to make a difference", and " You aren' t all that great anyway." Stupid little voice.

Sure we all have doubts, but we are giving in if we always let them have the floor. Take away their talking stick and put them in the corner. Let someone else have the floor- a voice that believes in you and where you want to go. Maybe a little bit of faith and hope. When the world says "Give up", Hope whispers "Try one more time." And at the point where hope would otherwise become hopelessness, it becomes faith.

Look out world, Faith is taking the floor.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my heck. I know exactly what you are talking about. There were at LEAST 3 of those in my hardest class last semester. I just wanted to yell at the top of my lungs and say SHUT UP! I AM TRYING TO LEARN HERE!. It made me feel dumb. Until I realized that everyone else in the class felt the same way. It was in the huge room in the swkt. Every time this one kid started to speak, you could hear a grumble throughout the room. Did that keep him from making comments ever single day? No, no it didn't. All i learned from this experience is that I may not be as smart as those people,(talking about crap i've never heard of) but dang it, I'm sure not as stupid as them. That's FOR SURE. We should pride ourselves in being the people who are in that class who want to learn, not the ones who want to be precocious enough to pretend to be the professor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristi, I totally understand what you mean. I met people like that many times but it is definitely the worst when I get down on myself. Usually a good long run helps me out with that but everyone has their one safety valve to release the pressure.

    ReplyDelete