Pages

Monday, November 12, 2012

Proverbs 31:10 11/05/12

Hey everyone!
It's been a fun and busy week here in Texas! Shout out to my beautiful little sister, Cody, who is turning 16 this week- watch out all young men. She is beautiful, talented, and spunky. Love you Cody! We set a baptismal date with another investigator-Norman for the first week of December! We're going to have a white Christmas here in Texas- I can just feel it. Most of the week, we focused on teaching and helping Henri and Norman progress and prepare for baptism. For Halloween we had to be home early, at 6:30, to avoid the trick or treating and other Halloween activities. It was kinda boring, but I caught up in my journal and watched 17 Miracles. Then this past weekend we had exchanges- I went to Katy, TX with Hermana Ball. She is from New Zealand and is so adorable. We just clicked and we were able to work like we'd been companions for awhile : ) She is full or energy and we worked hard for the 24 hours together. With one family we visited, a family with four boys, we felt prompted to share the stripling warriors story. The boys were gone for a Boy Scout camp out for the weekend and the parents were feeling lonely and sad that the house was quiet and empty. We shared the story and told them that they need not fear, because their sons have been prepared by their righteous examples and teachings to be righteous priesthood holders. Mom, Dad, do not be sad that I've left home. You taught me who I needed to become through your examples.
This week I was studying the Christlike attribute of virtue. The first scripture that comes to mind is Proverbs 31:10- "Who can find a virtuous women? For her price is far above rubies." And Preach My Gospel says that virtue is a pattern of thought and behavior based on high moral standards. It's been especially powerful to study the women of the Bible as I looked for examples of virtue. I studied Eve, Sarah, Rebekah, Rachel, Hannah, and Mary among others and felt inspired as a righteous disciple. And more and more I see that virtue = power. And by the power of virtue, many miracles are brought to pass. I ended up studying in the Bible Dictionary under Miracles and I loved learning that every single one of Christ's miracles superseded a lower law  with the higher law, in the case of healing, raising from the dead, changing water to wine, etc. It is symbolic of the power of the Savior to overcome all physical and mortal barrier with the infinite power of the Atonement. I've been studying conference talks and I really loved Elder Eyring's "Where is the Pavilion?" He starts off by saying that "Many of us, in moments of personal anguish, feel that God is far from us. The pavilion that seems to intercept divine aid does not cover God but occasionally covers us. God is never hidden, yet sometimes we are, covered by a pavilion of motivations that draw us away from God and make Him seem distant and inaccessible. Our own desires, rather than a feeling of “Thy will be done", create the feeling of a pavilion blocking God. God is not unable to see us or communicate with us, but we may be unwilling to listen or submit to His will and His time." How many times do we blame Heavenly Father when we have moved farther away? How many times do I do that? He goes on to outline several "pavilions" that separate us from God and in the end offers a challenge. I love looking for the direct invitations and suggestions of the prophet and his apostles through Conference. He said " Many of you, as I have, have felt fear in approaching someone you have offended or who has hurt you. And yet I have seen the Lord melt hearts time after time, including my own. And so I challenge you to go for the Lord to someone, despite any fear you may have, to extend love and forgiveness." I know that I need to take this challenge to allow myself to forgive. In a new mormon.org profile by Vanessa, she says " Forgiveness is a really beautiful thing because it allows people to move on. And life does move on. And if you hold onto things, then they hold you and you can't change."

I love you all bunches and hope you hear from you all soon!

Love,
Hermana Kristi Koerner

No comments:

Post a Comment