Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

Omni 1:26 12/31/12

Happy New Year's Eve!
Wow! This week was very different being away from home for the holidays, but it was sweet and simple. On Christmas Eve, we spent a pretty normal preparation day, although shopping was quite a bit busier. We went to a member family, the Ascencios, (she's from Guatemala and he's from El Salvador) for the first part of Christmas Eve. They were waiting for lots of people and we had a second appointment with an investigator family, the Cueva's, so we started with a song, a prayer, and a scripture and then had to leave. She gave us tamales to go- tamales are the traditional hispanic Christmas food and I've had more this last week than I can count. The Cueva family also gave us food and then we opened presents with them- the mom gave us both a body wash set. And we brought brownies and other treats to share. We went home and I think both of us still felt wierd, like it wasn't really Christmas. So after planning we sang Christmas hymns, read the Nativity story from Luke, and then opened the presents we had each gotten for each other. She gave me a picture of Christ in a wooden frame- which now sits on my desk. For her, I got her a Christmas storybook because in her family every Christmas eve they read a new Christmas story.
Christmas morning we woke up as usual but we made a special breakfast of omelettes, sausage, and hot chocolate. We did our studies and then I called home! That was so crazy and fun. Everyone sounded really good and I felt a bit odd since I felt so different and everything sounded the same. Does that make sense? But it was great to hear everyone and I loved it!  We did lunch with another member family (yes, tamales! : )) Then went home and finished opening presents, before going to another member's, Flores, so Hna Rife could Skype her family. I would love to tell you all the details, but I'm running out of time.
So I was studying in the book of Omni this week, and I love what Amaleki says about what we must give to Heavenly Father in return for all we have. Omni 1 :26  "And now, my beloved brethren, I would that ye should come unto Christ, who is the Holy One of Israel, and partake of his salvation, and the power of his redemption. Yea, come unto him, and offer your whole souls as an offering unto him, and continue in fasting and praying, and endure to the end; and as the Lord liveth ye will be saved."
Heavenly Father is asking for our entire souls- the only thing we truly have to give him that is not already his. As we start the new year I am going to work on how I can more fully give my entire soul to Heavenly Father. And that reminded me of what Elder Holland said this past conference " Wasn’t it obvious then and isn’t it obvious now that if I want fish, I can get fish? What I need, Peter (or insert your name here), are disciples—and I need them forever. I need someone to feed my sheep and save my lambs. I need someone to preach my gospel and defend my faith. I need someone who loves me, truly, truly loves me, and loves what our Father in Heaven has commissioned me to do. Ours is not a feeble message. It is not a fleeting task. It is not hapless; it is not hopeless; it is not to be consigned to the ash heap of history. It is the work of Almighty God, and it is to change the world. "
 
I love you all and I know that the work I am doing in changing lives and step by step changing the world.
All my love,
Hna Kristi Koerner

No comments:

Post a Comment