Pages

Friday, August 22, 2014

Tweet Tweet

I have been consciously avoiding Twitter for several years now. When I started this blog for my Digital Civilizations class, part of our coursework dealt with learning to use and apply digital tools. But I refused to sign up for Twitter. It just seemed excessive- post a Facebook status, tweet that, send a picture to Instagram, pin it to Pinterest, and blog about all of that. I don't want to just live my life online- I want to really live it. At the same time, me and this thing I have about connectedness, I wonder if Twitter is really doing just that. Is it connecting us as we tweet back and forth?


Then this week, Elder Bednar (click here for the full talk) gave the Tuesday morning devotional at BYU about social media. He reminded us that we have a part to play "to sweep the earth with a flood" of uplifting and inspiring messages. Simply put, "social media gives us a way to share simple messages of goodness and truth." He quoted Brigham Young (from back in 1862) saying, "Every discovery in science and art, that is really true and useful to mankind has been given by direct revelation from God, though but few acknowledge it. It has been given with a view to prepare the way for the ultimate triumph of truth, and the redemption of the earth from the power of sin and Satan. We should take advantage of all these great discoveries, the accumulated wisdom of ages, and give to our children the benefit of every branch of useful knowledge, to prepare them to step forward and efficiently do their part in the great work”. Wow. 1862? Can you see that eternal perspective?

He gave some basic guidelines for social media use including:
  • Be authentic and consistent
  • Seek to edify and uplift- not argue, debate, condemn, or belittle
  • Respect intellectual property
  • Be wise and vigilant
He did not come out and tell all of us to blog if we aren't, to get an account for all social media sites, etc. He didn't tell me to get a Twitter account. The Spirit did. He merely invited us to turn our influence for good into a mighty flood of positivity and goodness in a world often filled with cynicism and selfishness.

I love sharing the gospel and the joy it brings me here on my blog. I love sharing things via Facebook. And I'm looking forward to sharing goodness through Twitter. I want to reflect the immense gratitude, peace, and sense of purpose I have in my life because of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I hope you will all join me in this new adventure. #sharegoodnes #newadventures #ElderBednar @kristi_girasol


No comments:

Post a Comment