Pages

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Priorities

Sometimes, life just comes to a head when the pressures build up and the normal coping methods are just not enough. And normally when this occurs I want to blog, to spit it all out there, write it out, and work through it in the process. I'm usually a busy person, going going going. I like to get things done and I always have another project in the wings, waiting in line. But I've learned that it's not enough just to be perpetually doing "something" -it needs to be the right thing.

Elder Oaks put it best when he said, "We should begin by recognizing the reality that just because something is good is not a sufficient reason for doing it. The number of good things we can do far exceeds the time available to accomplish them. Some things are better than good, and these are the things that should command priority attention in our lives."

For example, I want to support those in my ward with their various callings. I arrange my schedule in an effort to always go to FHE, ward temple days, ward sports, ward choir, etc. And I love it- it's my life. But lately, it just feels really heavy. Like I'm running around trying to support everyone and in doing good things, but mixing it all up and making myself frustrated and miserable. So I quit going to softball because I don't like softball and I wasn't having fun. And now I feel guilty for not supporting that facet of my ward family. How do I balance between supporting and helping versus forcing myself to do things I don't want to do or rearranging my own life to do so?

The questions I received in this last general conference are a major tool right now for guiding me in the balancing and prioritizing process. At times it is a day by day thing- one conflict at a time, figuring out what I need to do most in the moment. Deep breath. I can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment