Pages

Saturday, December 20, 2014

Day 20: Gethsemane

 
 
 
Of all the days so far this perhaps is the most challenging. How can I just say a few things about the most incredible, wonderful, miraculous event in all of history? How can I express in a simple blog post the significance of the Atonement of Jesus Christ when I have spent years now studying and pondering on it's significance and application in my life? The simple answer is that I cannot. I can share some quotes and my testimony, but beyond that my continued study and application of the Atonement will say far more than words can.
 
Elder Holland in his beautiful talk, None Were With Him, (video), poignantly said this:
"Brothers and sisters, one of the great consolations of this Easter season is that because Jesus walked such a long, lonely path utterly alone, we do not have to do so. His solitary journey brought great company for our little version of that path—the merciful care of our Father in Heaven, the unfailing companionship of this Beloved Son, the consummate gift of the Holy Ghost, angels in heaven, family members on both sides of the veil, prophets and apostles, teachers, leaders, friends. All of these and more have been given as companions for our mortal journey because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and the Restoration of His gospel. Trumpeted from the summit of Calvary is the truth that we will never be left alone nor unaided, even if sometimes we may feel that we are. Truly the Redeemer of us all said: “I will not leave you comfortless: [My Father and] I will come to you [and abide with you].” 20
 
If there is one single thing I have learned in my study and pondering and application of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, is that very fact- we are never alone. His sacrifice did not erase suffering in this life for we all have our agency to sin and to feel the effects of sin--but it does mean that there is nothing we will ever have to pass through alone. Not the physical or mental pains of mortality, not the anguish of heartbreaks and rejection, not the crushing shame and guilt of sin, not the burden of self-doubt and loneliness or the fear of failure. I know this is true. I have felt it countless times when I knew during a specific trial that I was not alone. Because of that night in a garden over 2000 years ago, I need never doubt that I am loved and watched over through each step of this journey.
 
 

2 comments: