Pages

Thursday, May 5, 2011

April Showers Bring May....

After weeks of Utah struggling to accept the arrival of spring, it has burst with full force into spring! And with the celebrated arrival of spring many changes have come my way, good and not so good. Winter semester ended here at BYU and I bid adieu to some of dear roommates. Then, all of a sudden I was biding farewell to my charming, though idiosyncratic, house due to the incompetency of my landlady. Sad, but good change for me. This past year held lots of heartache for me, most of which I dealt with in that house- sometimes laying in my bed crying and other times sitting in the front room laughing. This change is already helping me to meet more people and be full of joy again. Along with the other changes, my mother and siblings will be moving back to Indiana on June 1st and I will be helping them move. I will get to see my sister, Cortney, who lives back east. And more delays with the publishing company, but patience has always been a virtue, right?
I've come to realize just how individual our life's paths are now. Growing up we experience life with friends and classmates, going through the stages and phases together. Learning to drive and starting to date are shared with this entire group of people who shared our high school's crazy gym teacher, the local hang-out spots, and all the markers of coming of age. What a shock to realize in college that it will never be like that. People start to move at different paces in various directions. My friends are scattered abroad traveling or serving church missions, some are getting married and having kids already, others are finishing school, doing internships, and finding careers. And that is part of their path. Looking from the outside at others lives it appears so effortless this transition from one stage to another, always at the right time and right place. It's a bit trickier doing it in your own life. No one else knows of all the waiting, preparing, sweat and tears, loneliness and deep thought that goes into trying to figure out where I'm supposed to be next. People, much older and wiser I suppose (and they do too), tell you to wait and be patient, that all good things come in time. They must have forgotten. Or maybe not everyone struggles like this with the preparing stage. Maybe they don't have friends who ditch them for boys and missions, sometimes even rightfully so. Maybe they grasp more peace about this part of life than I.
Anyways, it's good to be back to blogging after my moving madness. And here is an excerpt I absolutely loved from recent writing. It just came out of my heart straight onto the paper.

"When the first rays of light warm my face at dawn, it is you kissing my face as you exit my dreams. And at night the twinkling of the lamp is you beckoning me to slip back into our dreams. At the end of all the love songs, in the few moments of silence after the music has stopped but before the song is over, you are there singing me to sleep. And you are in the kitchen with me as I experiment with new recipes- laughing with me over the mishaps and savoring new discoveries. The smell of books, both old and new, comes with the hope of finding you in each new adventure and journey through the pages. You must know that it is you in every breath and blink, every daydream and though, every recipe and story. It always is You."

P.S. 64 days til Emilee's wedding!!

No comments:

Post a Comment