Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Praying for Politics

With the presidential race starting up I realized I have neglected politics for way too long here. I'm a political junkie...you didn't know that? Yeah, well after spending a summer at both the Senate and UN, going to numerous political rallies for both major parties (meeting three of the major candidates in the 2008 election), studying International Relations for a year before switching to teaching, diving into political texts on my study breaks and secretly reading the New York Times everyday, I think I've come to the conclusion that I can say what I think about politics. It's not better or worse than anyone else discussing politics on the blog-o-sphere, just my own informed and carefully thought out opinion.

When I was eight I dreamed of becoming the first woman president, a dream that endured through high school even. I made 20 and 30 year plans, plans for military service and law school- factors that most successful presidents had in common. In my conversations with adults growing up I would inevitably ask about their concerns with the government. I listened to my great-grandmother tell me about the Depression and talked to my Dad about reforming the welfare system. And the only reason I studied economics at all was so I'd understand how a government effected the economy and how the economy effects the people. But enough back story of my misplaced political aspirations.

You might be wondering, why did I change my beautiful dreams? Well, in all honesty, the more I explored and experienced ( see first paragraph), I realized there was something more to a politician than knowledge of social issues, compromising and negotiating, serving and sacrificing for our country, and standing up for your values and viewpoints. No. There is this sneaky little thing called politics. I learned that it meant so much more than the science and art of political government and the managing of government affairs; I quickly discovered that it often means a thirst for power achieved through manipulation and exploitation behind the guise of patriotism. Not 100% of the time, but way too often. You might be thinking, well duh! But I'm an optimist and a bit of an idealistic, but I figured this out before I was 20 so give me some credit. And furthermore, I learned this not from watching my TV and listening to others opinions on the pitfalls of our government; I learned this working side by side with people I admired and respected and seeing how politics changed them. So I made a choice. This is not the path I want to take.

Nevertheless, I will always remain a conscientious citizen and inquisitive political follower. Which brings me to the presidential race at hand. From my parents I learned to vote for an individual rather than a party, though I tend to feel more at home on the Republican side. And I've learned to not just listen to the speeches, but to research their voting history in the Senate or House and so on. Does their voting record match their speeches? Are they consistent- do they stick to their guns? Do they make choices based on what they really believe instead of what is popular at a certain time? Do they admit when they make mistakes and strive to work harder? Back in 2008, I was just a few months shy of 18 so I couldn't vote. But I distributed pamphlets in my dorm with information on both major candidates views on certain topics and encouraged others to register to vote. Had my birthday been slightly earlier, I might have found myself voting for Obama. While I agree and disagree with various parts of his actions and positions, I will save a more in-depth look at Obama for another post.

I want to talk about Mitt Romney. And John F. Kennedy. And religion. I am an active member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, a Mormon. As such my political opinions are shaped by personal values and religious beliefs. Back in 1960, John F. Kennedy became the first Catholic to obtain the presidency. He made his connection with religion quite clear in his famous address to Protestant ministers. " I am not the Catholic candidate for president. I am the Democratic Party's candidate for president, who happens also to be a Catholic. I do not speak for my church on public matters, and the church does not speak for me. Whatever issue may come before me as president — on birth control, divorce, censorship, gambling or any other subject — I will make my decision in accordance with these views, in accordance with what my conscience tells me to be the national interest. . . But if the time should ever come — and I do not concede any conflict to be even remotely possible — when my office would require me to either violate my conscience or violate the national interest, then I would resign the office; and I hope any conscientious public servant would do the same."

Romney is of a different faith than Kennedy, but shares a similar opinion. Just as JFK did not represent the Catholic church, Romney does not stand for all Mormons (though quite a few of us are excited about his prospective candidacy). They enter the race as men of personal faith and public service- one often influencing the other. Romney, back in '07 stated "Freedom requires religion, just as religion requires freedom. Freedom opens the windows of the soul so that man can discover his most profound beliefs and commune with God. Freedom and religion endure together, or perish alone,". He went on to say, referencing Kennedy, "Almost 50 years ago another candidate from Massachusetts explained that he was an American running for President, not a Catholic running for President. Like him, I am an American running for President. I do not define my candidacy by my religion. A person should not be elected because of his faith nor should he be rejected because of his faith...No candidate should become the spokesman for his faith. For if he becomes President he will need the prayers of the people of all faiths." For the entire speech, click here.

While church and state are separate by law, it is my experience that politics and religion never can be far apart. I may not choose a candidate because of his particular sect, but his values and the actions he takes based on those values place before me a depiction of a man (or woman) who might be given power over our country. And whether I agree with their specific beliefs in God or religious practice or not, I look for common ground of faith. I look for someone who will be consistent in their values, for that will give me a better understanding of a candidate than pages of issue statements and inspiring speeches. As the presidential race starts to gain momentum I will continue to talk about the issues and ideas at hand.

What do you think? How much does the candidates or your own religion affect your voting? In a country promising religious freedom and tolerance, are we wrong to use it as a measurement? Just a thought.

I think I'm going to pray about it : )

No comments:

Post a Comment