Pages

Monday, July 11, 2011

Arizona in July

Emilee warned me Arizona was hot in July. But 108 degrees is hard to comprehend if you've never experienced it. And they told me I was lucky that it wasn't 113 or 118. Plus they told me that most people find a way to escape Arizona in July- go visit relatives in Utah, Idaho, etc, have massive surgery so they can stay in the air-conditioned hospital for weeks, or get married so they escape on a honeymoon to the Caribbean which is still nicer than Arizona.Actually, they said that the only people coming to Arizona in July were me and Emilee's extended family coming for the wedding. Well, I'm happy to report that I survived the heat, even liked it a bit. I didn't get sunburned as I usually do, instead I'm a bit tanned. So I'm thinking that Arizona would be a great place to move, maybe for medical school down the road. Then they tell me it's also monsoon season so heavy rains and/or dust storms are anticipated.

Ok, I need to back up a bit. I flew into Arizona July 4th (Happy Independence Day!), which by the way- who knew it was cheaper to fly out on a holiday than on the day after it? Emilee and H picked me up and I don't think I stopped smiling at them the whole ride- make that the whole week! We dropped H off so he could do homework and went back to Em's house where I met her family. Emilee and I have been friends for several years now and we talk about everything, including her family. So upon meeting her family I felt like I already knew them and I loved them instantly. She has one sister married with a baby so I didn't get to know her as well, but the other three are fantastic. Her only brother who is going to be a senior, records music and is so funny that at times I was doubled over laughing. He's a teenager but if I asked him nicely to help me with something (wedding prep) he was cheekily helpful. Then there's her younger sister who is a brilliant pianist and so fun to be around. And the youngest sister who is creative, imaginative, silly, and loving. All of them made me feel welcome. Em's dad is a wonderful man who works as a seminary and institute teacher, is quietly funny, and was absolutely welcoming to me. And then there's her mom. I could write a whole post on her if I didn't think my mom would be a little offended. Em's mom is warm and welcoming, easy to talk to, a go-getter, and laid-back. I spent most of the week with her getting everything ready for the wedding day while Emilee worked. They had hired a decorator and florist, but the family did lots of setting up, decorating, and all the food! I think the rest of the family is going to relax for awhile after all the hard work.

Anyway, on Monday we swam in their pool, ate some food, watched Tangled. I thought this is probably what paradise looks like- the palm trees in the yard, the pool, clear skies, my best friend. It was pretty close. Tuesday was lovely as well. Em went off to work and I started checking things off the to-do list with mom, running errands and just having so much fun in the process. That evening out in the yard, Dad suddenly starts telling us to check out the sky. I turn and look to see an apocalypse looking dust cloud covering the entire horizon. They call is a "haboob", the arabic term for such dust storms. Lucky me, this was the largest such storm ever to hit Arizona. Dad said we probably only had a few minutes to get inside before it hit and sure enough, after we got inside and shut all the windows everything went black. It was crazy! And in the morning there was a layer of dust on everything. Here's a short video showing some of it.


Little did I know that as excited as the dust storm was, the real fun was just starting. Shopping for all the food ingredients for the wedding reception, picking up pictures, bustling the wedding dress, picking the dance songs, borrowing this and picking up that. I'm a wedding planner- I've done this many times, but always from a third party position. This felt like I was part of the family. Plus I got to share a room with Em for the week and we'd talk and say prayers together. Some people might think that working hard and running around for a wedding does not sound like a vacation, but it was perfect for me. I've never seen Emilee so happy, she practically sparkles. It was an interesting experience for me- to be so incredibly happy for another person while feeling a bit forlorn and lonely. The night before the wedding while she was getting advice from her parents, I admit to shedding a few tears. We will always be friends but this changes things again. But then again, life will continue to change. I will one day get married too and I know she'll be there for me since none of my sisters will likely be able to come to the ceremony. She will have kids and I will too. H will go to school for counseling and I might move down there for medical school. Or not. We're going to have to wait and see.

One moment in particular that I will never forget. She had come out of the temple with H after the sealing ceremony. We were taking pictures with family in front of the Mesa temple, which is absolutely gorgeous! and we kept making eye contact and smiling at each other. I was in the group photo and her family photo, but then got out of the way to let them do their thing. I'm not the one to jump in usually, plus I actually really hate pictures of myself. So I waited at the top of the stairs for a moment with the most beautiful bride I've ever seen. Finally she walked up to me and looked at me with an indescribable expression of joy and love on her face. We hugged for several minutes and I think we both cried a bit. And then I looked back into her eyes and it was like... like she held the secrets of eternity and happiness there in her beautiful brown eyes. And it gave me such hope. Hope that one day I will find that joy and discover that secret.

I will post next on just the wedding day!

No comments:

Post a Comment