Pages

Friday, June 1, 2012

A Challenging Week

Dear Family and Friends-
I must confess it has been a challenging week. I love the gospel with all my heart and I know these challenges this week will help me grow and progress in the work. My dear companion, Hermana Tanner, left Tuesday for Guatemala MTC and I know it will be a wonderful experience for her in the field. The new district with sisters also gained another sister, so now I have 4 sisters in my residence. I have new found meaning in "delighting in womanhood" - There is something remarkable and unique about the soul and insights of a women. Thanks to all you Relief Society ladies out there who have helped me love and appreciate all the various roles and joys of womanhood. It is challenging to be the only sister in my district with my 9 (yes 9!) elders! They added two elders from another district in our zone, so it started off as Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (yes, I gave them nicknames), but now it more like "And then there was one....". Don't misunderstand- I have been blessed with an incredible group of men and their examples of faith and priesthood service are humbling and awe-inspiring. I dearly love each of the elders I am serving with in my district (and zone for that matter). But it can be overwhelming.
Hermana Tartaglia gave us a quote this week by C.S. Lewis, the one about the Lord building a house out of us, only a very different home than we originally thought. But I had never heard the last line of the quote- " For He intends to come and live there Himself." That is the purpose for all the challenges and hardships- to make our souls more fit for the Lord to dwell within. What a beautiful lesson. I hope I will humble myself to allow My Father in Heaven to be the architect of my soul.
Our Sunday night devotional was by Stephen Allen who spoke about  precision and deviation through the story of a Navy pilot landing on aircraft shifts. Every measurement needs to be precise or else you fall. And as soon as any deviation in the measurements or variables is detected, it must be corrected as soon as possible. Tuesday night devotional was Elder Zwick of the Seventy, an excellent speaker. His wife first spoke about the enabling power of the Atonement, which was great since I've been studying that. She then listed several ways we can access the Savior's love. I'm so grateful for general authorities who bring their spouses along to also speak with us. Elder Zwick bore powerful testimony of the Book of Mormon and of it's central role in missionary work. I know the Book of Mormon is true and the word of God sent to direct and guide us in our lives. I know it contains the power to reach men's souls and soften their hearts towards the gospel.
I found a wonderful scripture in Doctrine and Covenants 29:5 (4-6). I love the phrase- "For I am in your midst." I know that the times I have felt so alone this week, the Lord has reminded me that he has promised to always be my companion if I will place my trust in Him. I have truly felt him loving guidance this week.
All my love,
Hermana Koerner

P.S. Could I get some addresses I'm missing? Sam Spencer, Quesley Bunch, Lauren King (if you're reading this), and any others who would like letters I would love to write to you. Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed challenging and I know being in that mission is not easy job. But as what I read you seems really enjoy it.

    Keep it up.


    the family international children of god

    ReplyDelete