Pages

Friday, June 15, 2012

Missionary Perspective

Dearest Family and Friends-
First of all, let me express how much I truly love each of you! I'm not homesick, but I feel close to all of you and keep you in my prayers. Happy Birthday Cortney!! (Hope you got my card!) Happy Birthday Sheena!! (Hope you got your card as well) Happy Father's Day Dad!!! (Yes, I sent a card for you too!) It was a busy week for our family, right? Girls camp was this week, right? Or next? Sorry, at times I lose track of time. It's hard to believe that I only have three weeks left here, but I'm learning so much every minute. As I focus on the Lord's work and in serving his children, I desire to share the joy and peace I receive from the gospel with all those I love. I hope this format of sharing insights and scriptures is mutually edifying.
We had a wonderful devotional this week by Elder Per G Malm. He was incredible- funny, direct, and edifying. He told us that we live up to expectations that the Lord, others, and ourselves set. A story he shared told of a man who prepared to climb Mt. Everest. After he had prepared for months, he climbed on his bike and pedaled from Sweden to Nepal to hike Everest. He set goals for himself, including not to use the usual way in climbing the mountain. ( Isn't it so true that we cannot use the world's way!) After three attempts he reached the top. He was fearless in the face of obstacles and he returned with honor back to him home in Sweden. The Lord is not asking us to hike Mt. Everest, but sometimes it feels that way, doesn't it? Right now it's long hours of studying and learning, serving in my responsibility to the sisters in my zone, drawing closer to my Savior, and putting all other distractions and preoccupations out of my mind. For others in life it may be illness, family problems, a struggling child, economic stress, emotional trauma and tragedy, or a myriad of other things. But I know the Lord will give us nothing we can't handle, only what we need to shape and refine us. Elder Malm spoke of many things including a quote saying, " The devil will NOT triumph. Even now he must operate within the bounds set by the Lord." Again, the Lord is in control here. And through our agency given of God, we are in control. I will share more detail in my other letters home : )
It was stressed to us this week the importance of the standards for the residence halls in the evening while we are preparing to bed. From the beginning, obedience has been paramount in our zone, so we have few issues of disobedience. However, as we discussed these standards this week I gained a better understanding of the purpose of this time. From 9:30 til 10:30, we are to prepare for bed, prepare for the next day, review and reflect over the inspiration and revelation we've gained that day, and give our accounting of the day to our Heavenly Father through prayer. My testimony of prayer has grown as I strive to make it an accounting to the Lord of my efforts of the day. It matters how focused I am, how much work I do, how well I listen to my investigators, and how exactly obedient I am--because I am reporting back to the Lord who already know my efforts of the day. It is my obedience and faith in reporting back to my Father that brings me closer to him.
I had a tidbit of an insight this week more about our divine identities. Often, as a daughter of Heavenly Father I feel cradled in His arms, loved and protected. Yet, as I've made covenants with my Father in Heaven, I am fully accountable to Him for my actions. I think the beauty of our relationship with the Father is in both of those facts combined- we are not just adored and loved, but held accountable and given opportunities to become like our Father in Heaven.
The more I study, the more I pray, the more I learn and teach- I feel a clarity of purpose. In teaching the awe-inspiring truths of the gospel of Jesus Christ and in helping people enter through the gate of baptism- I am pointing them to the temple in all I do. The purpose of a mission is not to baptize- though that is a crucial covenant and choice investigators must make. To have families sealed together in the temple and for each individual to make those precious covenants that offer protection and power is the true desire of my mission. From Elder Stephenson's talk in April 2009- " Understanding the eternal nature of the temple will draw you to your family; understanding the eternal nature of the family will draw you to the temple." May we keep the temple as the focus and goal of our lives. I suggest that you read that talk by Elder Stephenson as well as Elder Oaks and Elders Bednar's talks that preceded it in the April 2009 General Conference.
Also, there is a youtube video (Mormon message) entitled Advice from Elder Busche. ( Cody could you put in it a separate post or something?). It's wonderful. As are the talks, " The Challenge to Become" by Elder Dallin H Oaks and "Principles" by Elder Packer 1985.
I love you all and have letters heading your way as I type. Quick good news-- I am beginning to be able to roll my R's!!! I've been trying to years of Spanish and I can hear it now!
All my love,
Hermana Kristi Koerner

No comments:

Post a Comment