Pages

Friday, June 29, 2012

Apostles and Accomplishments

Dearest Family and Friends-
What a crazy, incredible, and busy week here at the MTC! I have less than 2 weeks now, leaving to Houston on July 11th (but I'm not counting down). I should get my itinerary later today and I'll give you details in my letter next week. Speaking of which, next week my preparation day will be on Saturday instead of Friday because I will have In-Field Training on Friday!!!!!  I know that I'm allowed to call the family from the airport, but once I know when my flight leaves, I'll know when I get to call : ) Camber- Happy Birthday dear!!!! Happy 18th Birthday! I sent a card this week which I hope you get in time, but if it's late- know that I'm thinking of you and wishing you the happiest of days! Jason- quick fun fact. In Mormon 2:16-17, it is talking about the land of Jeshon, but in the Spanish scriptures it is translated "Jason"! It made me smile when I found it : ) I'm almost finished with the Book of Mormon for Cortney, so Cody- I want to do you next. Is that okay? I thought it might be nice to have for you before starting high school. If someone else needs it first, let me know <3 div="div">
This week has been really different in some ways with 101new  mission presidents and their wives here for training. Lines were longer for food since we were confined to only 1/3 of the cafeteria and several buildings were closed off, thereby changing our schedules and rooms we could use. But the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve were here all week doing training for the mission presidents. I saw several of them in the halls and then....wait for it.....at our devotional on Tuesday night we were pretty sure it was going to be an apostle and....they started to file in...one...three...five....TEN apostles were in attendance at our devotional on Tuesday night. No matter what would've been said, it was a beautiful experience to feel of their spirits and of their love for us. Neil A Anderson, Quentin L Cook, David A Bednar, D. Todd Christofferson, M. Russell Ballard, Richard G. Scott, Jeffrey R Holland, Russell M Nelson, Dallin H Oaks, and L.Tom Perry who was our speaker!!! The entire presidency of the Seventy was in attendance as well as other general authorities scattered throughout the audience, Sister Dalton, Elder Malm, and others. It was a confirming experience for me as I could say that I know they are apostles of our Savior and Heavenly Father, and I do not know any better now than I knew before because I sat 20 feet from them. Similarly, I do not need to meet the Prophet to know he is the prophet of God on the earth. I think we were all surprised at the talk Elder Perry (being the senior apostles in attendance with Elder Packer ill) gave- it was not like a conference talk, or advice to missionaries, or even a talk over the Spirit or searching the scriptures. It was almost a presentation, with a slide show, of a new proselyting campaign- "Mormons Next Door" that is being launched in several trial missions and online. Using independent studies on the lifestyle of Mormons, it has numbers and statistics of measurable blessings to the LDS lifestyle in 9 areas- Health, Happiness, Family, Education, Social Engagement, Mission Experience, Volunteering, Charitable Giving, and Humanitarian Aid. I will include more specifics of all that in written letters, but I'm excited to see how it is implemented and to how it will be used to find prospective investigators. At the very end it said a few sentences in his testimony that I felt were very instructive. " We know we are saved by grace, but our destiny is determined by our obedience in all we can do."- What a wonderful way to explain our beliefs over grace and faith combined with works! Then he said, " The doctrines will never change, they are eternal and perfect." And I finished the thought in my mind- but people have to change to strive for the standard which is expected of us with the perfect doctrines we know. I feel so blessed to have heard words from an Apostle of the Lord and to have been blessed to be here at their specific time to hear those things the Lord would have me hear.
As I was studying this week over the centrality of the family in the gospel of Jesus Christ and over how to answer the question- How can the gospel help my family find joy and unity? My studies turned towards, surprise- the temple! In Mosiah 2 it specifically says that the doors of their tents were turned towards the temple. It is how our homes should be focused as well. And I thought of the Indy temple that in under construction. Family and friends in Indiana, find out if there are ways you can volunteer to help and I know you serve together you will feel the power of the temple. In conjunction with that, if you haven't made a Mormon.org profile yet, do so to help spread the word of who we are. People have so many misconceptions of who Mormons are and what they believe- the missionaries can't do it all- it has to start with the members. Speaking of which, we talked a lot this week of the missionaries relationship with the ward and bishop. Ask yourself- Are you a family/individual that the missionaries know they can call? Do they know they can ask for rides for investigators or a place to hold lessons? While I'm out in the field serving, you can each be serving right where you are, in exactly the way Heavenly Father wants. I have run out of time, but I'll write the other letters by hand today with more insights from this wonderful week. I love you all and keep you in my prayers.
-Hermana Koerner

No comments:

Post a Comment