Pages

Monday, September 17, 2012

Alma 26:12- 08/13/12

Family and Friends!
The work here in Oakcrest is blossoming! We had a baptism on Saturday of a young man, Angel. Hna Dement found him and started teaching him back in May. But since he lives with all guys, the elders took over teaching him. He's wonderful- so excited and eager to learn. He's already talking about preparing to serve a mission! As good as the baptism was, it was even better to see him on Sunday. He looked...lighter, more confident, at peace. It's been a gradual process to see the change in him, but I'm so excited for him to continue to grow and learn. It truly has been a humbling week. We might do the scheduling, but Heavenly Father does the real planning. I don't mean that things went awry this week, just that more and more I can recognize as did Ammon in Alma 26:12 that I am nothing in and of myself. Only through the power of the Lord can I carry out the work here. Like fiber optic cables that are perfectly clear and clean to be able to transmit light from one point to another, so must I be clean and clear to deliver light from Heavenly Father. I am not the light. But we all can be carriers/vessels of the light of our Savior- people can see what we have. We just need to open our mouths so they know where to find it! We've had a lot of fun involving the youth this week. We are teaching a teenage girl, Karen, so we brought one of the young women with us. And then the youth invited her to a youth fireside yesterday! This week we have several more days where some of the youth are going out teaching and tracting with us- Camber, Cody, Jason-- ask the missionaries how you can help! 
I had a really neat experience on Friday I want to share really quick. We had an appointment to visit a member ( I've been trying to visit all the members to get to know them better and to get them excited about missionary work) and we went and talked, shared a scripture, prayed and then left for our next appointment. While driving away, our next appointment called and canceled. So we stopped and prayed to know where to go. I felt prompted to return to the members home. I prayed again to make sure that it was what Heavenly Father was telling me, then we turned around and went back. She was surprised to see us again and she thought we forgot something. I told her that we had felt prompted to return and asked if she needed any help or if we could do anything for her. She said no. I told her that we loved her and that I knew Heavenly Father was mindful of her and loved her. Then we left. There was no big dramatic experience. I don't know if she needed the assurance of Heavenly Father's love or if we needed practice listening, but I'm so glad I listened. Next time, I know Heavenly Father trusts me to follow those promptings and I will listen no matter the outcome. 
Thanks for all your support and prayers! Please pray for our investigators Elizabeth, Karen, Luis, Norman, and Catalina. They are some really special people and I know they have been prepared to hear the gospel at this time. Forgive me for my lack of other letters, I've got a bunch I finished up today that I'm sending out. Just know that I'm working hard and that I love you all! I hope preparation for the start of school is going well and that you are excited for it to start again. I know I am- it means families are back from vacation and people meet all sorts of new people they can talk to about the church. 
Love you all more than the new peppers I discovered this week!
Love,
Hna. Koerner

No comments:

Post a Comment