Pages

Monday, September 17, 2012

I'm In Houston 7/16/12

I'm In Houston- July 16th
Dear Friends and Family!!!
I"M IN HOUSTON!!!! Well, more specifically I'm in the Oakcrest Spanish branch area about an hour north of downtown Houston. I was surprised as we flew in at how green everything is here- it's kind of a swamp/rain forest. Especially since it's rained really hard since I got here. In fact there is a bayou not far from our apartment with alligators and everything : ) Today the sun came out and I'm feeling a bit of that Texas heat everyone told me about. Rain or shine- I love it here! My trainer is Hermana Dement, from California and she's a redhead like me! She makes me laugh and is teaching me how to have fun while we work hard. This area used to be one of the largest areas in the mission with just sisters in it. Just before I got here they divided it up and added Spanish elders ( well, there are English elders here too, but it doesn't quite count.). So now there are the four missionaries in the branch and we're still figuring out our "new" areas and which members each of us have. But it's also great because if there's a single sister in the elder's area we can go teach her and vice versa. I'm so grateful I was able to call home for a few minutes from the airport on Wednesday, and I'm sorry it kept cutting us off. Sad that only a few were home, but know that I love ya'll. Yeah that's right- a bit of Texas for you. After a night in the mission home, we went to transfer meeting in the morning where I was placed with Hna Dement. It was still raining so luggage was really fun. After a bit of training, we set off for the area. After dropping things off at the apartment we got straight to work, teaching five lessons Thursday night. My Spanish is actually pretty good, people keep telling me. They don't believe me when I say this is my first area. Not only can I teach relatively clearly, I can converse and they understand me. I can understand a lot, but sometimes when they talk fast or use lots of slang I get a little lost. But I'm becoming a champion listener- I don't think I've ever been that attentive in a sacrament meeting before!!! : ) We are working with the ward in the effort for the menos activos (less-actives). It's such a joy to visit them and help them- you can feel their testimonies and we can make the difference or offer the little help they need to return. One of our less-actives, William, received a calling this week which was super exciting. And, a ward mission leader was just called. Hna Dement says they haven't had one since she got here, so the work is on the point of explosion here. I try to talk to everyone, but sometimes we really do have to get where we're trying to go and Hna tells me we have to keep moving : ) I have felt an overwhelming love for the people here, from the first lesson here to meeting the ward yesterday. Heavenly Father knows and loves these people. I know there is tons to say, but I'm mind is going so fast I don't know what else to share. Just a though from studies- Ether 2:25 . The Lord prepares a way for us as we travel through " the great deep"- this life and it's turbulence, afflictions, temptations, and the trials of this world. As we are "tight like a dish", through making and keeping covenants, we are protected from the storms that rage all around us. Joseph Smith said " I was meant to swim in deep water" and so are we in these latter days, but the Lord will not leave us. He has given us the path, the way to travel home.
All my love,
Hermana Koerner

P.S. My street address is 1011 Village Square Dr. Apt 535, Tomball TX 77375 for all letters and packages or letters can still go to the mission office address on Hafer Rd.

No comments:

Post a Comment