Pages

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Powerful Women


Headlines this morning sparked an internal discussion that I wanted to share. First, the passing of the celebrated poet, author, and civil rights activist, Maya Angelou, is a great loss not just to the literary community but to all who admired and respected her honesty and tenacity. Following behind that was the Forbes list of the 100 Most Powerful Women, including 9 heads of state, 28 CEOs, 18 who founded their own companies, 13 billionaires, and a handful of entertainers turned philanthropists. Brilliant, smart, influential...but I honestly couldn't find a single one that I would consider a powerful influence in my life. I read through the entire list- women I have great respect for and whose hard work and dedication have influenced our current global culture. However, at the same time, I believe that this list had a very narrow definition of "powerful" and "influential". I'm not blaming Forbes- as a business and political news company that is their focus. No one- not Forbes or Times or Oprah- can fully depict or describe all the ways in which women are powerful. For their purposes, they did need parameters. Like income, twitter followers, corporate decision making power, etc.

Those things will fade one day. No one will take their billions with them to heaven and they certainly can't take millions of Facebook fans either. Job positions change. Angela Merkel has been the chancellor of Germany since 2005, but one day that will no longer be the case. There was also another list of the most powerful moms, but it was just a section of the earlier list-- as if adding as a side note, 'oh and they happen to have children in addition to running their company'. True power is not intrinsically linked to positions, wealth, or fame. True power comes from faith, love virtue, covenants, and obedience- all of which the world cannot take away. True influence comes not from being a CEO, CFO, Senator, or news anchor. True influence comes from the titles of mother, wife, sister, and friend (I'm specifically speaking about women, but this applies generally). Wealth comes not from the dollars earned, money donated, or material possessions, but from the depth of close relationships, profound love, and an abundance of laughter.

I think of my mother. She is a powerful woman. Blessed with many gifts and talents, she shares them freely and fights for what she believes. Is she perfect? No. But power isn't always in perfection. Sometime power is in the imperfect and teaching your children and others how to learn from, cope with, and improve upon our imperfections. My mom has taught me that power can be quiet and subtle by the worlds standards and yet, shape our entire lives.

I think of my friend Erica, who knows the power of covenants. After losing her husband this past year, I have seen her gather strength, power, and assurance from the covenants she has made. I have seen the incredible influence she has had on her family, her son, and all those who constantly pray and watch out for her. She is a powerful woman.

I think of my friend Kilee, who knows first-hand the healing and enabling power of the Atonement as she works through Betrayal Trauma and her husband's addiction. She knows there is power in honesty and vulnerability. I love how she recently posted, "Owning our story and loving ourselves through the process is the bravest thing we will ever do...Vulnerability sounds like truth and feels like courage.Truth and courage aren't always comfortable, but they're never weakness."--Brene Brown"

I could keep going. Million of powerful women will never make the Forbes list, but they will forever change the lives of hundreds, maybe even thousands by their lives of faith, virtue, and love. Beauty, true inner beauty, is inherent and not in the eye of the beholder. But power? Definitely in the eye of the beholder.

No comments:

Post a Comment