Pages

Friday, July 11, 2014

Light Dispels Darkness

 

There are days, occasionally weeks, when the worries and fears seem to work themselves into the forefront of our minds, weighing with extra pressure on our hearts despite all our efforts to maintain positivity and faith. But inevitably, the scales always tip in favor of faith. Because faith is always stronger than fear. Even the smallest light will forever push away the darkness. And as we strive to fill our lives with people, places, and activities that create or bring light, we can't help but increase the gravitational pull towards faith.

In a talk given in General Conference April of 2002, Elder Hales related the following :
"This past winter I had the opportunity to learn more about my lungs. I became very aware that we cannot store oxygen. We cannot save the air we need to breathe, no matter how hard we try. Moment by moment, breath by breath, our lives are granted to us and are renewed. So it is with spiritual light. It must be renewed in us on a regular basis. We must generate it day by day, thought by thought, and with daily righteous action if we are to keep the darkness of the adversary away.

When I was a boy, I used to ride my bicycle home from basketball practice at night. I would connect a small pear-shaped generator to my bicycle tire. Then as I pedaled, the tire would turn a tiny rotor, which produced electricity and emitted a single, welcome beam of light. It was a simple but effective mechanism. But I had to pedal to make it work! I learned quickly that if I stopped pedaling my bicycle, the light would go out. I also learned that when I was “anxiously engaged” in pedaling, the light would become brighter and the darkness in front of me would be dispelled.

The generation of spiritual light comes from daily spiritual pedaling. It comes from praying, studying the scriptures, fasting, and serving—from living the gospel and obeying the commandments. “He that keepeth his commandments receiveth truth and light,” said the Lord, “and he that receiveth light, and continueth in God, receiveth more light; and that light groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day.” My brothers and sisters, that perfect day will be when we will stand in the presence of God the Father and Jesus Christ."

Yesterday after my incredibly selfish post, I was able to attend the temple. An overwhelming peace and reassurance came to me throughout the session. Answers or reassurances to all of my insecurities and fears that I expressed yesterday were offered and gratefully accepted. John 14:27: Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. Light once again dispelled the darkness.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment