Pages

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

New Home!

You know that mixture of relief, exhaustion, and peace that comes after you do something challenging, but oh so good? Definitely feeling all three today. We (Sheena and I) moved this last weekend to a cute 3 bedroom, 2 bath home here in Gilbert. I still can't believe we had that much stuff in our teeny tiny apartment and that we don't hate each other after living in such close proximity for 7 months! I'm so grateful for all the friends who came and pitched in, with muscles, vans/trucks, organizational skills, etc. Thanks to all of you!

Nearly a year ago, when moving into my own little apartment, I posted about my little "home-making"adventures. And I'm excited for this new chapter of home-making, which now includes an actual yard, patio, and pool! I have my temple picture on the mantle, the Family Proclamation in the front entry way, and my Cody Lynn originals entitled "Virtuous Woman" in the hall and "Falling For Eve" in my bedroom, plus a Tiana Burell original "An Active Mind" that I have yet to determine where to display. I have my sunflower canisters proudly displayed in the kitchen and LOTS of empty space with potential. I like potential.

In my apartment, I did the very best with what I had to create a little safe haven and a place where the Spirit could be. However, due to limited space and resources, it wasn't really a place my friends could visit and relax, where I could invite people to dinner, or have game night. In the new home, all those possibilities are wide open. Shoot, right now I could have a dance party in my front room until my couch is delivered! I can have dinners, pool parties, game nights, movie nights, as well as quiet time all to myself in my room. By myself. I guess I've missed personal space as much as having a place for friends and family to come and visit. I'm a big fan of progression, of continually learning and adding to what I already have. This feels like a good step. I'm keeping lots of ideas and things that helped me make my apartment a home and adding new things as other inspiration comes and as these new capabilities allow.



Is that not how we learn in most areas? One step at a time, line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little. That's how our testimonies are built, how we gain any kind of education, how we build relationships. In a world of fast food, instant messages, and play-by-play updates via social media, we tend to forget that some things can be slow. That they need to be slow. Most worthwhile things take time to develop and mature and I think the secret is to enjoy the journey as well as the goal. I loved my little apartment with my bright yellow kitchen and red wall in the living room and though I won't miss the crowded space, leaking fridge, or sinks that don't drain properly, I am grateful for the experiences I had there. And now I'm excited for this next phase and all that will come with it!

P.S. I should probably have cute pictures to show you of my new house, but I haven't gotten that far yet : ) Coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment