Pages

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Enduring Instead of Hanging On

Sometimes I get itchy fingers and just want to blog- but I don't necessarily have a topic. Other times I have no shortage of ideas, happenings, and thoughts, but zero motivation to write. Do you ever have this problem? This last week I ran into both back to back. First, I just wanted to blog last Thursday or Friday but with conference coming up I didn't want to post on something irrelevant because I assumed that right after conference I would overload on gushing about conference. (Before I keep going- General Conference was AMAZING!) Then after conference, with all the wonderful spiritual impressions and experiences that went along with it, I had two really bad days in which I was having trouble coping again. Oh, the circle of life.

But of all the themes and wonderful talks, one stood out for me- KEEP GOING!

Elder Clayton "Sometimes we may feel that we have lost ground, that we have made mistakes, or that our best efforts to find the Savior are not working. If you feel this way, please do not give up—ever."

Elder Wilford W. Anderson , "Keep practicing!" 

Elder Renlund "God cares a lot more about who we are and who we are becoming than about who we once were. He cares that we keep on trying... If we don’t try, we’re just latter-day sinners; if we don’t persevere, we’re latter-day quitters; and if we don’t allow others to try, we’re just latter-day hypocrites"

Elder Pearson, " Enduring to the end is a hallmark of true discipleship and is essential to eternal life. But when trials and challenges come our way, we are often told to simply “hang in there.” Let me be clear: to “hang in there” is not a principle of the gospel. Enduring to the end means constantly coming unto Christ and being perfected in Him."

And with several other talks I have notes written about enduring to the end and not giving up, only to go back to the text of the talk and discover that they never said those words. The Spirit did. Clearly, the Lord knew exactly what message I needed, not just the ones I wanted to hear.

Let me clarify- I am very blessed. I have a good job, a home, a car, great friends, wonderful family, a testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ, and a deep love and gratitude for the Atonement of Jesus Christ. But life still comes with challenges and there are times I feel like I am tying a knot at the end of my rope and hanging on. I am coming to understand the difference here is not whether or not we reach the end of our "rope". We all will at one time or another. I think the change of perspective comes with what we choose to do when that time comes. Do we dangle helplessly, putting all our strength into just holding on for dear life? Or do we devote our energy to climbing back up the rope?

It's okay to struggle, to hurt, to be sad, or mad, or whatever it is. But we know that it is not God's plan for us to stay that way. Men are that they might have joy. And we cannot fully know joy until we understand sorrow and pain. The Lord is not commanding us to be instant saints, nor does He expect us to have His eternal perspective at all times. But he does expect us to keep going, to keep trying, keep practicing, continue enduring.

No comments:

Post a Comment