Pages

Friday, April 17, 2015

Relevance of Truth

I've had the privilege that last couple weeks to fill in for one of my institute teachers in my New Testament class. Last week was on the book of Hebrews and this week was 1-2 Peter, 1-3 John, and Jude and with the echos of this most recent General Conference in my mind the parallels were overwhelming. And by that I mean that all the topics and verses that I felt prompted to study, share, and focus on from the New Testament seemed to correlate with a talk from conference.

I love teaching the gospel. I remember in the MTC talking to one of my wonderful teachers, Hermana Tartaglia, and telling her that when I taught the gospel I felt beautiful (physically and otherwise). Beauty is light and the gospel is light and truth so it is not surprising that there is a direct correlation. Whenever I get the opportunity to teach the gospel in whatever setting I always feel that I learn much more in the preparation than I can possibly convey in the short class time available. And being the gospel geek that I tend to be, I get so excited about multiple themes, thoughts, and verses. It is humbling for me to walk into a class so excited and feel the Spirit directing the lesson in a way that I had not prepared or imagined.

As we discussed the counsel given by Peter, John, and Jude based on their unique experiences and interactions with the Savior, it was starkly evident to me that those same lessons (same doctrine etc) are being taught by living prophets and apostles today. As Peter, who might know better than most, counseled about facing fears in testifying of Christ I was reminded of Elder Bednar's talk entitled "Therefore They Hushed Their Fears". And when he continued with his wonderful counsel on relationships in 1 Peter 3, I couldn't help but think of the many talks on the same topic such as Sister Burton, Elder Perry, President Packer, and Elder Christofferson. When John talks about love (using the word love over 30x in 1 John 3-4) as a tool against apostasy I was reminded of Elder Nielsen's talk about waiting for the prodigal. And there were many other examples.

Truth is truth. No matter where it was said or who utters the words, from the shores of Galilee to the pulpit of the conference center in Salt Lake, from Peter to President Monson. And truth--absolute truth--is always relevant, always applicable no matter what generation or situation. How grateful I am to have the gospel of Jesus Christ in my life and to know that truth transcends time, space, race, and age.

No comments:

Post a Comment