Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

The Bend in the Road

Welcome back! Ok, you probably never went anywhere, but I've been shamefully neglectful. I started half a dozen posts over these past five or six months, but then left them half-finished. But today I have some free time I will use productively (along with the keeping of my resolutions!-going strong still : )



A favorite poem of mine explains some of this time for me:




The Bend in the Road


When we feel we have nothing left to give

And we are sure that the song has ended,

When our day seems over and the shadows fall

And the darkness of night has descended,

Where can we go to find the strength

To valiantly keep on trying?

Where can we find the hand that will dry

The tears that the heart is crying?

There's but one place to go and that is to God,

And dropping all pretence and pride,

We can pour out our problems without restraint

And gain strength with Him at our side.

And together we stand at life's cross roads

And view what we think is the end,

But God has a much bigger vision,

And He tells us it's only a bend.

For the road goes on and is smoother,

And the pause in the song is a rest,

And the part that's unsung and unfinished

Is the sweetest and richest and best.

So rest and relax and grow stronger

Let go and let God share your load.

Your work is not finished or ended

You've just come to a bend in the road.

Helen Steiner Rice






I kept telling myself that I would wait until I knew exactly what I was actually doing, but isn't that a conundrum in itself? You can't always wait to figure out the future--you have to step forward and embrace it. I mentioned last August that I had turned a 180 from the direction I had so carefully planned out for myself, which included BYU, marrying Brother Charming before graduating, and settling down to start a family. Sounded like a good plan right? But the Master Planner had a better one. So I came back to Indiana with my family. I've worked as a waitress and a substitute teacher (both of which will get an exciting post), gained a beautiful neice ( Lily should have her own blog, but I will definitely give her a post), and after much preparation and an abundance of tender mercies, drumroll please......................

SUBMITTED MY MISSION PAPERS!!!!!!!



As much as I love missionary work and have been involved with it my entire life, I was surprised last summer when I felt the prompting to prepare. Yet with a bit more reflection, I can look back and see the host of experiences that have prepared me specifically for this service. So the game plan: catch you up a little on my work of the past few months, post on Lily, and then transition both of us to mission mode, in which I will be posting letters here on this very blog. So hang in here with me! And a beautiful song that Hilary Weeks just released--just for you.



No comments:

Post a Comment