Pages

Monday, October 8, 2012

20% Tongan, 50% Latina, 100% Missionary 9/25/12

Hey everyone!
The weeks are just flying by and kind of blurring together. Luckily it has cooled down a bit and I think autumn has decided to visit Houston : ) I know I've said it before, but I absolutely love my area and the branch and the people! As a missionary I care so much about them- not just the investigators, but the less-actives, the stalwart leaders, the struggling mother, and the wonderful youth. In fact we are trying to help and support the youth as much as possible. So one of the young women (who reminds me so much of my amazing little sisters!) just finished reading the entire Book of Mormon so we took her out for ice cream. In this area we have stewardship not only to find the people the Lord has prepared for us to find ( and there are many), but to care for, help, and support the members. M&M's- Without members, missionaries couldn't do half the work. With the missionaries, the members don't have to do all their work alone. I hope you have good missionaries back home and that you are helping them and allowing them to help you. We had a ward activity this weekend that was so much fun! September is Hispanic Heritage month, so we did a culture night. Everyone made food from their countries which was scrumdidilyumptious! Then there were traditional dances performed from Mexico, Argentina, Chile, El Salvador, Honduras and me and my companion did a Tongan dance to represent her culture. Yes, that's right. I did an awesome hula for culture night. It was challenging to learn in between everything we were doing, but I think it helped the members connect more to us. In fact, one of the members invited us to come over later today so she can teach us some Puerto Rican dancing. I'm really excited. Besides all that, the best part was that people brought their friends!!! Besides our investigators, we had probably a dozen or more new friends that members brought. They're not all new investigators, but it gives a place to start. Plus, now they've been to the chapel, know that we're pretty much normal people, and know about the role of missionaries ( since they did a little presentation of the role of missionaries). On Saturday, Hna. Latu had a cousin getting married that lives here in Houston, so we were able to go to a real Tongan wedding! I have pictures of me and the pig at our table : ) It was really fun and a good opportunity to meet some of the members in another part of the mission. With all the various opportunities this past week, I've really seen how Heavenly Father really puts us in the right place at the right time. Like one contact we made. She was super interested, but then several appointments fell through for one reason or another. We decided to stop by one day and caught her just after receiving difficult news. She allowed us to pray with her and we bore our testimonies. I know Heavenly Father knew that we needed to visit her at that moment instead of the times we had so carefully planned to. I love the scripture in Proverbs 3:5-7 "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him and he shall direct thy paths. Be not wise in thine own eyes." We try to do all we can to plan and prepare and teach with the Spirit to be doing what the Lord would have us do, but we must also see that the times things cancel and fall through are part of the design as well. Yes, we should plan and prepare, but be open to listen to and then follow the Spirit.
Love you all bunches-
Hermana Koerner

No comments:

Post a Comment