Pages

Monday, October 8, 2012

Light and Truth 9/10/12

Hey everyone!
It's been a busy week full of lots of service, wonderful lessons and several miracles. We had the opportunity to help with the fall cleaning of the Houston temple, specifically in the project of cleaning the chandelier and all the other lights in the celestial room.( I always wondered who was allowed to clean the celestial room in the temple and now I know--sister missionaries!) We spent five hours (with 10 people) polishing one crystal at a time, replacing all the bulbs, and aligning everything just right after it had been polished. We sang hymns as we worked (dressed in baptismal jumper suits : ) and I think all of us felt a sacred spirit doing the work. When we started it was beautiful and clean- nothing looked like it needed cleaning. On each chandelier there are strings of crystals as well as teardrop crystals that hang down, so in the process of polishing some of the strings would become a little looser, while other were too tight, some would angle a bit too much, etc. So after polishing each one, we went back and aligned everything- each string must hang just right and be level with the others. It was amazing that aligning it just right made the light so much brighter since it was able to reflect in the crystals as it was designed to do. After the entire project we all laid under the chandelier and pondered the principles of light and truth--the room was sparkling, glowing, incandescently beautiful. Just when you think you've seen all the beautiful light- or that you understand a principle of the gospel- there is always more to understand, always room to grow. I loved studying Doctrine and Covenants 88 and 93 afterward because they are such beautiful scripture on light and truth. The experience was also a great analogy for missionary work- we are the laborers sent to clean and polish and align each and every one of his children in our assigned area. The care and love we must take with each person- member, inactive, or investigator is similar to the polishing process. It goes on but I'll let you keep thinking about it : )
The other focus of the week was the Atonement. Zone meeting on Friday centered on the Atonement and since then I have focused my studies around it. I've been studying and searching in Jesus the Christ, the scriptures, and talks to gain more understanding of the Atonement so I can in turn teach my investigators. There is a great talk by Elder Holland, one he gave in the MTC called " Teach the Atonement" and well, one he's a powerful speaker and two, it's a powerful topic. He says, "Missionary work is, I think, the hardest work I had ever done...If there's anyone in the room who thinks this experience is not easy, welcome to the Church. Welcome to the gospel. Welcome to the life of the apostles and prophets. Welcome to the life of the Savior, who knows quite a bit about cups from which one does not wan to drink, and paths that one does not particularly want to walk. But the gospel is the way and the truth and the life...A gift was given in the anguish of Gethsemane, and a price was paid at the summit of Calvary for you and for me and for all those investigators out there, for every missionary who has ever served. If we are going to be disciples, if we are going to say that we are sent by the Lord Jesus Christ then we had better have some evidence of it. Part of that evidence will be at least a moment or two in that garden with those tears, and a step or two in the general direction of Calvary made in anguish and sorrow." I love this. More than that, I feel this. He also said " Salvation is not an easy experience. Salvation is not cheap." This work is hard- I hope that doesn't surprise anyone reading this and that you don't think I just don't have enough faith. This work is hard and long, and sometimes discouraging and hot. And sometimes I feel so completely inadequate to be doing this work. But never for long because I know that this isn't my work and I'm not doing it alone. If I am going to be a missionary and represent our Savior, if I'm going to proclaim eternal truths He taught and teach the infinite sacrifice He made for each of us, "I cannot ask to completely avoid the pain He felt, or the tears that He shed, or the sorrow that He saw." I know I've wrote home about this before, but it only becomes more true, more personal, the more time I spend in this great work. After zone meeting and thinking about one of our investigators, we decided to teach the Atonement again to her. It was one of the most powerful lessons I have ever been a part of. I don't say taught because while I opened up my mouth, the Spirit did all the talking. We testified powerfully that the Atonement is the center of all that we've taught and that only through our Savior can we receive comfort, forgiveness and remission for sins, and the opportunity to return once more to our Father in Heaven. And as we did so, she opened up her heart and let us in. She told us her concerns and doubts and what was holding her back so we could answer those questions.
Some great scriptures from the week- John 14:27, John 16:33, Mark 5:36, 1 Nephi 18:1 as well as the Sunday afternoon session of this last April General Conference. Oh, and chapter 3 of Jesus the Christ- if you have a moment or two to read.
I sure love you all! While I'm here caring for the people of the Texas Houston Mission, I know Heavenly Father is watching over you all.
All my love,
Hermana Koerner

No comments:

Post a Comment