Pages

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Conference Week in Houston 10/08/12

Greetings from Texas!


Wasn't conference amazing!!!! I just can't get over how wonderfully incredible and personal and inspiring it was! I have been studying and praying for nearly two months in preparation for conference. I prayed about and brought several questions to conference seeking guidance and inspiration. They were all answered and then some. And during certain talks I would think about a specific investigator or member with whom I wanted to share the words just spoken. I never wanted it to end and sat so attentively focused listening during each session that by the end of each day I was exhausted (though we had not been out walking and teaching). During the first session when President Monson made the announcement about the change in age for missions, several of us sisters were sitting in the RS room and the elders were in the chapel. We cheered and clapped and cried at the announcement! The world needs more missionaries. Remember what Elder Nelson said- "ask a missionary!" YES! And we need more missionaries to answer all those questions. But more than ever I know that the youth of today are and have been prepared for this momentous call to service. They are righteous and valiant, and I can't wait to watch them enter the mission field in the coming months. We wanted so much to get every word of direction possible, so all of us sister missionaries "snuck" into priesthood session, listening in the kitchen of one of the stake centers with the speaker up. It was a powerful and wonderful session and I felt an overwhelming love for our worthy priesthood holders! Everything this past week was so focused on conference- teaching investigators and less-actives about the opportunity to hear the words of a living prophet to receive guidance and directions for our daily lives. We challenged all of our members to bring questions to conference. There are several youth in our ward that made the decision to serve after President Monson made the announcement- each in their own circumstances and questions had brought that question to conference : )

Since it was so focused on conference I just wanted to share a few of my favorite moments or talks from conference. I could tell you my favorite part of each talk, but I assume you were watching and don't need a full play by play : ) I was really touched by Elder Bowen's talk, and Elder Uchtdorf's talk was wonderful--" Let yourself be happy. We determine our own happiness. Don't focus so much on the finish line and miss the journey." Love love love it! Elder Whiting's talk was great- we need to measure up to the temple standard. Sand and buff the gritty walls and replace the crooked windows in our souls. I loved every talk President Monson gave- in priesthood and on Sunday morning. D. Todd Christofferson's talk in priesthood was incredible- "The world needs men it can trust. Women need men they can trust. The Lord needs men He can trust." And Elder Perkins- " Do we want to be quitters or valiant servants of God?" Sunday morning with Elder Packer was awe-inspiring-- I have grown up listening to this wonderful apostle and I just adore him. His talk was like balm to the soul as he talked about the lights to guide us through the dangerous channels of life. Elder Holland is always a favorite as he challenged us to step up in our discipleship and feed the sheep. As Elder Scott got up to talk, I was just waiting for him to mention his wife and sure enough. That man loves his wife so much!

All of them were great and I can't wait to go back and study them again. In fact, as I'm typing this I'm listening to one of the sessions again. I hope you all enjoyed conference as much as I did!

All my love,

Hermana Kristi Koerner

No comments:

Post a Comment