Pages

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Reflections...

I walked into class on August 31st, 2010 excited for what I assumed would be basically an in-depth history class on civilization from the 1500's to the present, Western Civilizations 202. Easy, right? After all, I'd aced all my history AP exams- my kind of class. Wrong. Instead, I got something better. A class that challenges me in the way I think, in the way I think I get knowledge or should acquire it, in the way I research and collect information, and even in the way that I'm starting to analyze and synthesize new information. To be sure, Digital Civilizations is a broad course, so broad that I often walk out of class with a headache in my attempts to wrap my brain around the kind of spectrum and magnitude of the subjects. We've covered everything: science, literature and rhetoric, governments, social groups, economics, digital tools now and future, technological philosophies (which I didn't even know existed!), and much much more. At the same time, the very "broadness" of this course allows me to make connections I wouldn't have made otherwise. So, though I could probably talk for awhile, here is my Top Ten Things I've Learned (so far):
  1. My ideas, thoughts, and words have power. In class and in this blog. Not because of who reads it or how many read it, but because I wrote it.
  2. The digital tools are a way to expand how I can learn, not to replace other traditions that I find quite valid. (see my post)
  3. That a blog can be one thing at once or it can be about various aspects of who I am alternately. This is shown in my posts about my writing, interest in art, class discussion, or more personal reflections on life.
  4. Digital technology has it's own language that requires concentrated focus to understand and then to add to it.
  5. Both the historical topics of class and the digital component has opened up a world of free education everywhere, from all different perspectives.
  6. I've discovered even more so through this class that my learning is a progression. I can change my mind as I learn new things as shown between this post and this one.
  7. Consuming isn't enough in our new world. We need to add something meaningful to the discussion, we need to create and connect with others for our ideas to make a difference.
  8. By telling myself that I need to be making connections, I will do so. Whether sitting in my Shakespeare class or in Genetics lab. It all matters.
  9. I've learned that the only thing truly holding me back from becoming digitally literate was fear. Fear of it being too hard, fear of coming up wanting in comparison to others, and fear of my ideas and identity rejected.
  10. And I've learned that I think like me. Not like the professors or the guy who sits next to me, but like myself. I see things and interpret readings differently, but that's what makes this class so amazing. We can come together and discuss and continue the discussion outside of class. And no matter our viewpoints, we are connected by our efforts to learn and grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment