Pages

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Screencasting: An Adventure!!!

So, for the groups projects I was assigned Screencasting. A couple problems- 1) I had no idea what that was and 2) my computer resisted all efforts to do this. Not to worry, I have addressed both issues.

What is screencasting? Screencasting is when you create a video of the images on your screen; you see this style in tutorial videos mostly. There are a couple steps to getting the programs to start this. After some exploration of a couple programs, I recommend Jing.

Step 1: Go to the Jing website and download the free version.

Step 2: Once installed on your computer, Jing will have you create a username and password, which it connects to another site called Screencast. Jing helps you capture a screen or video and Screencast stores it and helps you share it.

Step 3: Jing will automatically take you through a tutorial, which I must say from a novice perspective, that is easy and straight-forward.

Step 4: Experiment! Go to a website and take a video of you trying to explain something. Maybe you want to teach your parents about privacy settings on facebook or something like that. You can delete it if you don't like it and try again.

Step 5: Once you save a video or capture, you can share it by clicking a link in Jing or Screencast. It will let your choose whether you want the URL or the embedding code.

This actually took me awhile to figure out, but I hope this helps you know where to go. Here is an example screencast I did of how to create a wordle, inspired by DareMe's post "Power of Words". Enjoy!

2010-09-11_1346

4 comments:

  1. Kristi, you did a great job with your screencast project! I'm going to set up a wordle based on my blog. How does it feel to try Jing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jing was a little intimidating at first, but surprisingly simple to operate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice, useful screencast. Another option to try is ScreenJelly. Did you set up a user account where you can post and others can find other Jing screencasts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I set up a Screencast account that allows other people to see all my screencasts.

    ReplyDelete