Pages

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Social Networks and Social Contracts?

Over two hundred years after the formulation of the Constitution, I realize that I'm held to a social contract that is decidedly based on Locke and eighteenth century. So I must explore, is it still valid and applicable? Check out this site for other opinions. It's true that this government needs the consent of the people to have power, but the abuses of power seem to go largely unchecked by citizens too frustrated with politics to attempt reform. In order for change and reform to occur, those changes have be reviewed and approved by the very bodies and people whom we are trying to reform. And did Locke ever foresee the digital age we now live in? Probably not.

Today we have invented a new social network with Facebook, Twitter, Skype, and many other tools. On one hand, these tools connect us to one another, improve communication and efficiency, and organize and expand our learning. However, this relatively new network in our world is still figuring out what the new social contract is. What is the protocol here? What languages are acceptable? Does the internet place everyone on it, on a level playing field with regards to connections and value of thought? Or do we still have distinctions? Check out this article on this idea for more insights.

* Note: I apologize for the short and late nature of my posts this past week. Personal and family matters have dictated where I needed to concentrate my efforts. Hope you can understand.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I agree that with our modern connectivity we can easily lean toward more straight democracy and less republican-democracy... I think that's totally viable.

    But as far as a social contract goes - it will always exist as long as someone - say you - would like someone - like me - to protect your freedoms. I'm in the Army - I'm happy to die (if I must) for you to be free.

    However, it is the social contract that we have that forces me to be willing to die for someone else who I might just as soon let be overtaken and ruled by some tyranny. I mean, I'm not going to name names or anything (do we really need Montana?) but you get the point.

    Things change - but some social contract must remain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree- because of our history, we will always have a social contract. But I still wonder how exactly it will change in light of our new digital culture?

    ReplyDelete