Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Iconic Propaganda

Though I am saddened that in my Digital Civ class we have glossed over World War II (my specialty), I am sure that I will revisit the topic in the future, especially with my new book.

As we have started to read and discuss the Atomic Age, I've been drawn to the media and images associated with this age. At this time, images become iconic, sending messages separate from the words.

What do you think of when you see these images?

So many images today are associated in our minds with other ideologies and feelings. The Statue of Liberty, a national flag, Marilyn Monroe, protestors, Jane Goodall, Eiffel Tower, and many other images. Are they important because we say they are, or are they important regardless of our personal opinions?

2 comments:

  1. I believe we ascribe importance and meaning to something.

    For instance, here in the United States we drive on the right side of the road, while in Australia they drive on the left. One way isn't better than the other; it is just that a rule someone set up in the beginning. It's just the way things are done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete