Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Peer Blog Evaluation

In this post I will be reviewing Parker Woody's blog in three parts.

1. Historical Concepts
  • As I examined Parker's blog, I saw immediately that he has posted on all the class topics, specifically referencing or referring to the ideas suggested in the assignment. So he is definitely doing the reading. (Examples 1 2) Slam dunk Parker.
  • I've looked at his Diigo bookmarks which suggest that he is looking at other sources, but I feel he could be doing more research on specific ideas outside of the specified class ones.
  • At the same time, several of the review of historical topics read like summaries or recaps of the reading. It's hard to tell whether he is just reguritating or simply trying to make sense of the load of material. Examples 1 2 But I understand how hard that is and I think he's working hard to incorporate more outside sources.
2. Computing Concepts
  • He has incorporated computing concepts several times. Examples 1 2
  • However, I think he needs to spend more time on explaining and working through the process of certain computing concepts. Perhaps making more connections between the historical content and the computing concepts.
3. Digital Literacy
  • I was impressed with the variety of tools and feature Parker incorporating into his blog such as TeacherTube videos, Vimeo videos, prezi and slideshare presentations, and others.
  • Yet, I feel like he's getting the habit of writing content, inserting video, quoting the class readings and finished. While this format it good, I'd like to see him play around with other formats.
  • As mentioned above, he struggles to explain a digital tool completely. Example 1
Just a couple overall impressions: The blog posts are little long typically and I tend to stop reading. Also, the blog feels a little stiff. It is limited to exactly the class material and nothing else. While this may be that he doesn't prefer the blogging format or is a more private person, I would like to see more personality and reality to his blog. But that could just be me.
Good job Parker!

No comments:

Post a Comment